Born-Again Preterist - Part Three



Part Three – The Future of Preterism
"The archangel totally blew it." - Vernon Klingman

Vernon: This brings me to what I feel is the greatest stake of all regarding the subject of prophecy, and it relates to the credibility of the Word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. I should add that I find this veracity threatened not only by dispensationlism, but by all views that would place the coming of Christ in the future.

I'm sure you've heard of C.S. Lewis. Many in the Church consider him to be the one of the greatest Christian-thinkers of all time. While I also appreciate much of his work, I feel he didn't have a clue about how to defend the prophecies Jesus made concerning His return.

Notice what he said about Matthew 24:34, where Jesus promised to return before His generation passed away:


"It is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible. Yet how teasing, also, that within fourteen words of it should come the statement 'But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.' The one exhibition of error and the one confession of ignorance grow side by side."

So, C.S. Lewis is saying that Jesus made an embarrassing prophecy, but we should forgive Him for His error, because He was ignorant.

This is ridiculous.

SM: Next you’ll be telling me there’s no such place as Narnia.

Vernon: If Jesus made an error concerning when He would return, then He is a false prophet. And if He is a false prophet, my faith is in vain. And if my faith is in vain, I have no eternal life. This is the greatest stake of all, as I see it: the hope of eternal life.

Not all futurists share the opinion of C.S. Lewis regarding this matter. Many instead redefine the time-statements Christ made to avoid charging Him with error, so they can feel comfortable about a worldview they've already decided is true.

So, you might wonder, if preterism has led me to believe that Christ is a true prophet, then why would I care if other people don't understand His prophecies, so long as they're following Him?

The reason I remain passionate about this issue is that while Christians are playing around with Christ's words - or ignoring them because they think things will all just pan out in the end, or suggesting that the Church was actually anticipating two second comings, separated by thousands of years - their children are growing up. And they're encountering worldviews that challenge all this nonsense, and being exposed to higher scholarship that makes their understanding of Scripture look, well, silly.

SM: Christians looking silly? I don’t believe it.

Vernon: I’m afraid they’ll abandon their hope of eternal life. This is my chief concern. This is why I have dedicated myself to promoting a proper understanding of eschatology. I want everyone to see how the words of Christ were fulfilled so they will continue holding on to His promise of eternal life and pass this hope on to many generations to come. Because, while I believe that striving to make this world a better place is extremely important, I also believe that God wants us to continue walking with Him in the world beyond.

SM: Speaking of the generations to come, you have a few dozen children yourself. Have you ever had to have 'the talk' with them when they come home wondering why little Jimmy thinks Obama is the Anti-Christ, or when Johnny tries to get them to read the Left Behind novels because 'everyone else is doing it?'

Vernon: I figured since it was proving so difficult to convert people to preterism, I'd advance the cause through adopting and breeding.

We certainly have a full house. After my wife and I had four biological daughters, we adopted a little girl from Ghana, and then a little boy from there as well.

My kids really don’t have too much interaction with mainstream Christianity. We’ve hosted a church in our home for a few years now, and none of my kids have ever attended a Christian school. They have attended some Christian youth groups, but I don’t believe the subject has ever come up there.

So far, my oldest daughter has been the only one of my kids to have a conversation with a friend who didn’t like the idea of preterism, and this didn’t happen till she was in high school. I remember her being very upset that her friend so quickly dismissed the idea. I just told her to ask her friend questions about what she believes and why, and to do the same with me, so she could make up her own mind about the subject.

SM: What kind of feedback have you been getting from the facebook page?

Vernon: Overall, I've enjoyed administering a public page on preterism. I've found it very rewarding to help people find answers to the same questions that bothered me. I've also been very encouraged by all the likes and positive comments. It’s been great to see that I’m not alone in my convictions.

But there certainly has been pushback. I've been called a heretic, told my doctrine isn't Christian, charged with having no understanding, and outright mocked for my beliefs. Most of these attacks, however, come from people I don't know that well, or don't know at all, so I try not to take these things too personally.

My friends and family have been much more gracious toward me, even if they don’t really get where I’m coming from. I think it's because they can see my heart, and when we talk face-to-face, they can tell I've spent a lot of time studying the issue and they respect that.

SM: Is it fair to say that preterism is by-and-large more accepted by politically-liberal Christians?

Vernon: I’m noticing my page not only drawing politically-liberal Christians, but also libertarians and Ron Paul advocates. I think this is because the view appeals to people who question mainstream movements, people who don't just accept a leader and join a team, but actually think through various issues, though they apparently arrive at different conclusions.

I might also mention, the preterist hermeneutic is also quite appealing to liberal scholars and atheists. In fact, most liberal scholars and atheists agree with the preterist that Christ clearly believed He would return to establish His kingdom in the first century. The only difference is that the liberal scholar (such as Albert Schweitzer) and the atheist (such as Bertrand Russell) see His prophecies failing, whereas I see them being fulfilled.

SM: What's the next step for you?

Vernon: I don’t often think of that, as a preterist.

Currently, I’m working on a commentary on Matthew 24 that I hope to complete this year. This will be the fourth commentary I’ve written on a chapter in the Bible that concerns eschatology  (the other three are posted under the Notes tab of my facebook page). When I finish this commentary, I plan on polishing up all four of them and publishing them as an eBook. I've also considered producing an audio series based on these works.

Other than that, I don’t really have any big plans. I just want to maintain a presence on Facebook to encourage other preterists and help the futurists see the glory of all that God has done, so I can encourage them to have hope for this world and also for the world beyond.

SM: Is it possible you’re wrong about all of this?

Vernon: I believe we can't help but employ faith, regardless of the worldview we embrace. I define “faith” as a conclusion about something we cannot see, and since none of us can see beyond this life, it seems we have no choice but to exercise faith about what might follow, even if we believe that what follows is nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment